Monday, February 01, 2016

A boring update just to get back in the habit


Hello again from Atlanta on a strangely warm winter day!
Lots of things are happening! I'm in my last semester of law school! Soon, I will be blogging much more regularly--but for a class, in a different blog, only about constitutional law. (For those interested, I plan to focus on the areas of constitutional law in which I'm most interested, about which I feel the most confident and informed, such as freedom of speech/expression and equal protection, with a little Fourth Amendment thrown in.)
Even though this school year has been just as busy as the previous two, to some extent I have more control over my time.  This is not true every week, but some weeks and weekends I'm able to schedule my responsibilities with enough flexibility to leave large blocks of time to pursue other, more fun things. This includes writing for fun and knitting and kitchen projects and plants and all of the things I typically write about. Also, the stiff writing style of school and work seems to have leaked into my fun writing (just look at the first two sentences of this paragraph--ugh!), and more regular writing will hopefully help break me of that.  (Which is, incidentally, also important for my blogging class--it's a class on public legal writing. One of the main goals is to get better at writing for the public, writing about complex issues not in the style of a memo.)
Some of these fun things that are new this winter are that I got a juicer for Christmas. I could write and write and write about my juicer for many posts. I love my juicer! It's a cold press slow juicer, and having never used any other kind of juicer, I don't know if the things I'm going to talk about are unique to cold, slow juicers or not. It's quiet. It's a bit of work to clean, but not frustrating - there are a a lot of parts, but they are each individually easy to clean - things don't get stuck in impossible places. The solids that separate from the juice are useable, and so not only do I have access to the new cooking world that is juicing, I also get to explore the new world of making things with the juicer remains! Which is more appealing than I just made it sound! Vegetable pulp goes in the freezer to be added to meatloaf.  (Eventually, I'll try adding it to things like veggie burgers, meatballs, lentil loaves, and regular meat burgers.)  Sometimes it gets added to healthy breakfast muffins--although my first experiment, healthy beet ginger muffins, is nothing to get excited about. (They're not inedible. They are filling. They serve the function of a healthy, filling, portable, easy breakfast item. That's the best I can say about them--they're functional. Just what you want in a baked good.)
I also have been using the saved, frozen juicer leavings to add to tea! Some juices are great added to tea, too.  This is the main reason to keep ginger juice or turmeric juice around, but I found over the weekend that chai tea made with half boiling water, half sweet potato juice is delicious.  At the moment, I am drinking the results of steeping dried orange peel, green tea, dried rosebuds, and ginger juicer pulp in the tea pot, with turmeric juice and honey added to the cup. Yum!
---
In news outside of the law school and the kitchen, I've started hosting social knitting at my house. This began when I shared a Facebook post about the new Warmth for All chapter in Atlanta, a charity group that is coordinating with International Rescue Committee to donate handknit items to Atlanta's refugee community. I have, since this past fall, been determined to get more involved in helping refugees, and for reasons I won't discuss on the blog (not now, anyway), my schedule has gotten restrictive in a way that makes me hesitant to sign up for a volunteer orientation or designated weekly volunteering time slot--I would hate to cancel due to a last minute obstacle outside of my control, that nonetheless inconveniences the organization. A lot of the knitting community is helping refugees by working with 25,000 Tuques and other international efforts; I was planning to start that, too, but thought, "It seems silly to send hats only to Canada when there are refugees in my own city." I thought about starting my own group--contacting IRC and World Relief Atlanta, and then contacting local knitting groups--and was delighted to find someone else has already done it!
After I shared Warmth for All's Facebook post, a bunch of my friends responded that they wanted to participate, but wanted to learn how to knit. I offered to host and teach in my living room. Just like I used to do for my college choir ten years ago! Other friends came to help teach, and we're going to do it again this month--maybe every month!--as well as go to Warmth for All's stitch-in events!  I finished my first scarf to donate this weekend, a plain old Lion Brand Homespun scarf in a colorway called Wild Fire. (Another post could be dedicated to Lion Brand Homespun, the yarn I learned to knit with, the budget yarn of my dreams. It gets reviled by some knitters, but I say they are wrong. Homespun is soft, comes in beautiful colors, durable, machine washable, and because of its price point, accessible.)  Here's a picture of my finished scarf, displayed on the arbor in our garden, with a close-up to show the colors of the yarn.


I'm also working on the same projects I was working on a month ago--a yellow cardigan and a pair of plain Vanilla Socks for myself in pretty yarn. I'm planning to cast on two more projects for charity--some kind of hat, once I locate my size 4 circular needles; and the Wheat Scarf by Tin Can Knits in some pretty, colorful yarn I found in the Tote Bag Which Houses The I Have No Idea What To Do With This Yarn! Collection.
---
In botanical news, my spring bulbs are coming up. I have no idea if that's bad or if that's just gardening in Georgia.  It was nearly seventy degrees yesterday.  It was in the twenties the previous weekend.  This is just how Georgia is, I guess.  I suppose it would be nice if I had taken a picture of these plants to share with you, right?  Next time!  Anyway, I'm not the only one.  This morning I noticed a neighbor's daffodils, which I'd been observing on my daily walks, are blooming. I think they were not blooming yesterday; they waited just until February.
Also in botanical news, I had a visitation from a botanist and she gifted me with seeds. A friend from college stopped in Atlanta on her way road tripping from South Florida back up North, and she brought Miracle Fruit! I'd heard of this for the first time about nine years ago, when a friend told me that she and her boyfriend had ordered these strange fruits on the Internet that you eat and then everything you eat after that is sweeter until the effect wears off. This post is already getting long, so I won't write a plant profile on Synsepalum dulcificum or an account of my experience eating key limes (delicious!), star fruit (yum!), or cornichons (pretty much exactly the same!) under the influence of miracle fruit--not today, at least.  We saved the seeds from the fruits to attempt propagation at home. I'll document that process!
---
In unrelated life news, I want to try Stitch Fix, but I'm afraid to commit. First of all, in my tiny house, I have a ton of clothes I don't wear (and am slowly moving to the "donate" pile--to eventually actually take to a donation site!).  Second, what if they send me stupid stuff that I hate and I waste a bunch of money?  Third, I'm just being weird about breaking out of my routine while concurrently giving control of an aspect of my life to a stranger. Do any of my readers have thoughts on this?

Well, this has been long enough for a "boring update" to get back into the habit of writing about non-work-related things for the public. Happy February!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is not boring and now I want to know if the bulbs survived the sudden change in temps and/ or is this a sign of changing times?