Friday, May 15, 2015

Clafoutis Made Vegan, The Actual Recipe

One of the most common ways that people come across this blog is by searching for vegan clafoutis recipes.  Unfortunately, the four-year-old post that Google takes them to, Clafoutis Made Vegan, describes how I changed a family recipe, without including the actual recipe.  The actual recipe--not vegan--is one post earlier, as an example illustrating my Thoughts on French Cuisine.  The recipe is missing important details.  My mother provided those details in the comments.  To help out those Googlers, to save you the trouble of having to combine the text of two blog posts and some blog comments, here's my family clafoutis recipe, the original, and my vegan-ized family clafoutis recipe.

CLAFOUTI-MIMA'S
Updated
NOTE: This is not the vegan recipe.  This is the regular one, updated to include important information for some reason left out of the family recipe.  For the vegan version, scroll down past the picture of an unbaked clafoutis.


10 TBSP FLOUR
8 TBSP SUGAR
6 TBSP MILK
4 TSP OIL
2-3 EGGS
1 TBSP BAKING POWDER
VANILLA
a pinch of salt

MIX AND ADD FRUIT.  Fruit can be sour cherries (also known as "pie cherries," and purists insist you DO NOT pit the cherries), sliced pears, bananas, strawberries, or pretty much any fruit you want.)  This recipe does not tell you how much fruit to use, and for that I apologize.  As my Thoughts on French Cuisine have shown, my French family recipes are vague on important details.
COOK IN A PIE PLATE AT I don't have that. oops. 450F for 15 minutes, then lower the heat to 325F and continue baking for 45min-1hour, or when cooked.  Again, this is vague, but I have provided a picture of the clafoutis cooked and uncooked, which might help.


Uncooked clafoutis.  Perhaps this will give you an idea of how much fruit to use?

Picture of cooked clafoutis goes here.

Now, the vegan version.  You only need to replace the eggs and milk.  Soy milk might have too strong of a flavor.  Almond milk is ideal, in my opinion, because almonds and cherries are closely related taxonomically and their flavors complement each other.  If you try this with soy milk or other non-dairy milk, please share the results in the comments--I'd love to know how it worked out!

CLAFOUTI-MIMA's Made Vegan by Sarah


10 TBSP FLOUR
8 TBSP SUGAR
6 TBSP ALMOND MILK
4 TSP OIL
2-3 FLAX SEED EGG REPLACEMENTS (see recipe below)
1 TBSP BAKING POWDER
VANILLA
a pinch of salt

Recipe for 2-3 Flax Seed Egg Replacements
2-3 tbsp of flax seed meal (or flax seeds, freshly ground.)
6-9 tbsp of water

Put the flax seeds in a bowl.  Slowly add the water and beat it into the flax seed meal.  Keep whisking until the mixture gets gelatinous and starts to resemble egg whites.  See (3:1 ratio of water and flax seed meal--whisked until it gets a gelatinous texture, like egg whites.  See The Post Punk Kitchen for clearer instructions.

Vegan Clafoutis Directions
Mix all ingredients, and then add fruit of your choice.  Fruit can be sour cherries (also known as "pie cherries," and purists insist you DO NOT pit the cherries), sliced pears, bananas, strawberries, or pretty much any fruit you want.)  This recipe does not tell you how much fruit to use, and for that I apologize.  As my Thoughts on French Cuisine have shown, my French family recipes are vague on important details.
COOK IN A PIE PLATE AT I don't have that. oops. 450F for 15 minutes, then lower the heat to 325F and continue baking for 45min-1hour, or when cooked.  Veganizing does not change the baking instructions for this recipe.

To Make Gluten Free
Clafoutis is not like bread.  It's a pancake-like batter poured over fruit.  I have never made it gluten-free, but I imagine it would be easy, that most gluten-free flours would work.  Almond flour would certainly complement the cherries.  Teff flour would be lovely with peaches or fall fruits, and I imagine buckwheat flour, with the right fruits, would be nice, too.  I'll update this if and when I actually bake a gluten-free clafoutis.

This is what a vegan clafoutis looks like when it is baked.

No comments: