Monday, January 28, 2013

Further adventures with sourdough and sweaters

I gave up on sourdough and bought frozen pizza instead. Picture taken below at Grocery Outlet, care taken to display HM's enthusiasm while maintaining his anonymity.

I'm just kidding! I made Cathy Erway's Spent Grain Sourdough from Not Eating Out in New York. The recipe, as far as I can tell, does not say when to add the salt, and so I forgot to add the salt. The result was a reminder of what salt does in a bread recipe. Well, okay, I actually don't know, but it has something to do with science and helps the bread rise. Bread dough that is supposed to have salt, without salt, yields flat bread.

Here it is before the second rise.

I believe the purpose of that photo was that I planned to write something about, "Kitchen Day," an entire day devoted to tackling ambitious kitchen projects all at once and then not worrying about them for an entire week, and the mess that results yet is cleaned up while everything is in the oven.

Still flat, before going in the oven. I hoped for some oven rise.

It looks exactly the same, except that it's on a cooling rack.

The bread was very dense and neither of the residents of this house considered it a favorite. HM kept pointing out that, "it doesn't taste like sourdough," which again makes me wonder if my starter isn't ideal. But all of the starters involving milk sitting at room temperature for days or juice weird me out a little bit.

Before I write off this recipe, however, I am going to try it again with salt.

As for sweaters, I'm almost finished with the back of the Selfish Sugarcane Shell. I had to start a second skein of yarn and was concerned until I realized I had actually purchased three skeins of Araucania Ruca Multy, not two. It looks like the shell won't be finished by the end of Selfish Knitting Month, and I did not start any other selfish projects. I haven't decided yet if I'll keep working on the shell exclusively in February, or if I'll start another selfish/de-stashing project in addition to gifts that must be completed by a deadline. Gift recipients include babies and some friends to whom I have promised ribbon embroidery for the last two years.

Some bloggers would end a semi-dull project possible-no-one-but-me-cares-about-this post with a question for the readers, such as, "Is anyone else doing Selfish Knitting Month? What are your adventurous projects for 2013?", but this feels very inorganic to me. It's not that I don't care; I do! but this just doesn't seem like the kind of blog to end many posts with questions.

No comments: