Friday, March 02, 2012

More March (including plants)

Happy second day of March and second day in a row of posting!

The sunset sky, unusually dramatic, inspired me yesterday. I spent some time just staring at its reflection in the vases I have on my kitchen windowsill, where I am attempting to force some mystery bulbs mailed to me by HM's family.

I wasn't sure if I should use a pebble dish or forcing jars, so I just let luck and fate make the decision for me. I went to Goodwill and found three vases that could be set up similarly to forcing jars, so that's what I'm using. One bulb has grown mold at its root end, but the other two bulbs have started to grow roots that have reached the water!


Look at the root!

A month ago, my laptop stopped working. I have paper due on Monday, so I dug out the old laptop that I had been using until I replaced it in 2010. Luckily, I never finishing cleaning out its hard drive so that I could donate it to Free Geek; I still have it for emergencies.

What made me stop using it was, besides its age, the fact that the keyboard is broken and the laptop can only be used with a USB keyboard plugged in. This is fine for sitting at a desk, but annoying if you plan on taking your laptop out in public.

The laptop is like a time capsule of the life I had in my first year of Portland life, as I was transitioning from my sad last year in New Jersey to a new life in a new place. On the desktop is an MP3 of the Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros song "Home." Remember when that was a new song? Remember hearing that song when it was still indie, before it started appearing in commercials and stuff? When I tried to download a new version of Firefox and the "downloads" window popped up, the most recent thing on the list was a PDF of my weekly online unemployment form. That laptop was like an undisturbed image of that time, a package of the joy and excitement of every discovery in my new city and every new friendship, as well as the despair of searching for jobs in the early days of the recession and the quiet, buried panic of a life with no sense of stability and no clear view of what the future might hold.

That computer, which is seven years old, so old I'm afraid to try and upgrade the version of Ubuntu it's using, works as well as it ever did with just one program running. However, it cannot multitask anymore. Trying to use Google Chrome and Rhythmbox (kind of like iTunes) at the same time was like watching a squished-but-not-dead insect try to walk.

I have a sentimental attachment to things. It's one way in which I am not practical. I don't know if I will ever give that laptop to Free Geek. I think it might be my backup laptop and my time capsule of 2010 forever.

Also, the flowers pictured above were given to me by HM earlier this week!

No comments: