Friday, August 05, 2011

Clafoutis Made Vegan

NOTE: Google tells me that, in the last four years, many people have come to this blog looking for a vegan clafoutis recipe.  I imagine that the post that follows, a part two of something that is more of a story than a recipe, is quite frustrating.  So, if you are looking for the vegan clafoutis recipe, the place you want to go is here.

Since the recipe only calls for 6 TBSP MILK and 2-3 EGGS, it's pretty easy to make this dessert vegan. Except I'd never tried to replace milk in a recipe where I couldn't just use coconut milk. While I'm sure it would be delicious, I didn't want to make a coconut cherry clafoutis. Thanks to Google, I learned that soy milk is the best, and almond milk is a close second. I was worried that the soy milk might impart a funny flavor to a dessert like clafoutis, with such little added flavoring in the dough. Also, I didn't have time to make a fresh batch. What truly pushed me in the direction of using almond milk was botany. Cherries and almonds are botanically related. They are both Prunus. A slight almond flavor would not overwhelm a cherry dessert.
Now I can't stop drinking almond milk. I wonder if it's easy to make. If so, Bag of Almonds from the WinCo Bulk Bin Flopping Around in the Freezer, I've got plans for you.
Replacing the eggs was easy. I did what I always do, grind flax seeds and whisk them with water like I'm making mayonnaise, until they start acting like egg whites. The Post Punk Kitchen explains it well!
It was delicious.

9 comments:

t.s. debrosse said...

Yummm... I read this post and the post before, and at some point I'll have to either peruse your blog for recipes or ask you for French recipes. Jesse's mom is obsessed with all things France and she loves to cook French recipes. She goes to France every year and is on the level 4 French Rosetta Stone thing. Um, yeah and she talks about France at least once a day. This has been the case for as long as I've known her. Her house is even decorated with the French royalty symbol thing. She's not French, though Jesse's father is, and so her last name is. Anyway, she is determined to teach Mirabelle French and plans to take her to France and raise her to be all French-like. She would love if I passed along some authentic French recipes. I'll look through your blog soon!

Sarah said...

France is an enchanting place. When I went in 2007, I definitely returned to the U.S. obsessed for a little while. I can send you some other family recipes if they don't appear in my blog - like homemade mayonnaise (best thing ever.) I totally thought Jesse's last name was Italian for all this time! We could have bonded, in the Apt. 46 Days, over being part French.
I have a very cute mental image of Mirabelle speaking French and wearing cute little dresses and hats...and eating croissants! as though real life is the French storybooks I had when I was a kid.

LS said...

Why vegan? Did you give up bacon?

Sarah said...

Why not? And of course I did not give up bacon. Or eggs. Or milk. I use the flax seed egg replacement a lot. I was making the clafoutis for a get-together, and in Portland it's never a bad idea, when it's easy to make your recipe vegan, to make your potluck contribution vegan or at least vegetarian.

Sarah said...

Oh, and I use the flax seed egg replacement a lot when I am buying pasture-raised chickens' eggs, which are really, really, really expensive out here compared to in NJ. Like $6-$8 a dozen. $5 is the best price I've seen. Those I would rather save for things where an egg is essential, like mayonnaise or omelets.

LS said...

Got it! We are making lots of low-sugar and low-carb things here at home now, for similar reasons. We also have a vegetarian who eats eggs and dairy, so whatever pleases the most is made the most often :)

That is really expensive for those eggs. Here in NJ $5 is expensive for organic eggs, and at the farmers markets they are usually 4-4.50.

Sarah said...

I am envious of your affordable farmers market eggs. My mom pays only $3.50! (She goes right to the farm, which is in our town, so not far.) I remember regularly paying $2.39 for a dozen of a certain brand of organic and some kind of humane/cage-free/somethingorother certified eggs. I think they were only medium, though.

Raina Saul said...

Can you post the recipe you used for this? Looks delicious.

Sarah Kelsey said...

The very next post (with the unhelpful title "Thoughts on French Cuisine") includes the recipe (also a little unhelpful--it's the family recipe I have used and in the case above, substituted almond milk and flax seed egg replacement for non the non-vegan ingredients) after a lengthy ramble about French cuisine and how my family's recipes often omit important details while being overly detailed in other aspects. Let me know if you have any questions and I will answer to the best of my ability!