Monday, August 22, 2011

Canning tomatoes: Do I really have to peel them!?

That's all I have to say for today. I pose this question to the blogging world. I got a great deal on a big box of tomatoes at the market on Saturday, and I want to preserve some of them before their delicious peak-ripeness caves to rot and mold. I would love to can them as plain old summer tomatoes, not mask their delicious flavor with spices to turn them into salsa or something like that. But all of the recipes, and people we know, say that one must must MUST peel the tomatoes to can them.

Why?

All I can find is that is has something to do with texture. I never peel or seed tomatoes when I am told to do so. I don't see the point. I like them.

But before we go messing with this, I wanted to make sure that canned tomato skins don't do something horrible like grow a hateful soul and taint the cans with the taste of rotten eggs, or give everyone Zombie Botulism.

What do you think, bloggers and canners?

1 comment:

kalin said...

I think since canning involves heat it might make the peels kinda start to come off regardless, so you'd be left with some weird skins hanging out in your jar...
I have enough tomatoes in my yard this year that I think I may need to can. Not excited. I'm clumsy and have visions of burning myself and dropping jars on my foot. But I can't waste tomatoes!
If you have the freezer space fresh tomatoes freeze deliciously-it's the only way I knew to eat tomatoes in the winter as a kid (we didn't go *buy* canned tomatoes and we certainly weren't going to eat out of season ones from the grocery store!)