Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Homemade soy milk

I am still in a low Internet state. There is temporarily no Internet at my house, and my laptop isn't working. I can get online with a phone and a Nook, but the keyboards on those are not ideal. So I found my eeePC laptop, a mini laptop I had been ignoring because it had been going through a temperamental phase in which it didn't want to connect to the Internet and froze randomly. Now it occasionally gets slow, the word processor changes the fonts of sections of my document to DejaVu Sans for no reason that I can ascertain, and the Back and Forward buttons on Firefox aren't working. It is better than nothing, and I am happy to have it.

From Food

Above is a photograph of what the title of this post suggests I am going to tell you about. That big long plastic container houses all of the strawberries I picked in NJ and brought back to Oregon in my checked bag. The farm says they only last about three days in the fridge, yet I have had them for more than a week and not a single one has gone bad. I eat them every day, and there are still so many left. It is neverending strawberry happiness.

But I will write a novella about strawberries for you later. I even have a draft that I wrote by hand. Yes, on paper! That's what having no Internet at home and a bad laptop will do to you.

So, the soy milk. I am not a vegan. I am not even a vegetarian. I don't believe people who say that humans should not drink another animal's milk. I don't even drink soy milk that often. I don't seek it out in cafes or at the grocery store. I'm also not a passionate soy milk hater, either. If it's there, I'll drink it. But I never thought of myself as a big soy milk lover either.

So, I'm not quite sure why, when I read a recent Bust magazine article about making your own soy milk, I became overwhelmed with the desire to try it. Something about the recipe just made it sound so appealing, as well as easy. And it was. In case you can't get your hands on a copy of Bust from a few months ago, the same recipe (with more detail and more pictures) is here. When I brought my food processor/blender from NJ this winter, I was unable to fit the blender attachment in my bag. It wasn't until my most recent trip that I was able to retrieve that blender, and I held onto the soy milk recipe for all those months. In fact, the soy milk is the first thing I made with that blender since moving it across the country.

You just soak the beans, drain them and puree them with new water in the blender, then put the mixture in a pot with more water. Bring it to a boil while stirring the pot, then let it simmer for 25 minutes. Add sugar and a little salt. All of the measurements and ratios and times are in the recipe linked to above.

I didn't have cheese cloth or anything that I thought of improvising at the last minute, so I just used a mesh strainer. The result is a few bean pieces in my soy milk, which is fine when I'm just using it to reheat oatmeal on the stove.

Note. Even if you are not as prone to kitchen katastrophes as I am, do not leave that soy milk unattended when you are waiting for it to boil. Not until you have it lowered to a simmer should you turn your back on that pot. Just trust me. Something about the soybean and water mixture makes it come to a sudden and explosive boil. I mean explosive. I didn't even leave my kitchen this time. I was right next to the stove, rinsing a dish, when I heard the clang of the pot lid and saw an eruption of milky foam leaving sticky soy milk and chunks of soybeans all over my stovetop, under the burners, and on my kitchen floor. It leaked into the oven. It leaked into the drawer under the oven. I had just deep cleaned my kitchen this weekend!

Prior to this incident, however, I hadn't realized the parts of my stove that could be taken apart to be cleaned, and now I have a new project to take on when I am cleaning to relieve stress. So perhaps it wasn't all bad!

I decided I was not to be deterred, so after I cleaned up the kitchen karnage, I set out a new bowl of beans to soak, and that was how I was able to take that picture above. It was really, really good hot, when I had first made it, and it was good cold in iced coffee and in my oatmeal with strawberries.

1 comment:

Myrnie said...

So glad you could use my recipe! And YES: you can't turn your back on this! Cheers- Myrnie