Saturday, April 30, 2011

More about reading

I can't remember if I told you, my readers, that I got an e-reader, the Barnes and Noble Nook to be exact. I got the black and white Nook with 3G. So far, I love it.

The Nook Color seems like it can do fancier things, but the screens of black and white Nooks are much easier on the eyes. I haven't actually used a Nook Color, but I get the impression that it's like staring at a laptop. My Nook can also be read outdoors in glaring sunlight, which is nice. I need an extra reading light if I want to read in the dark, but that's not a big deal.

I use my Nook all the time. I use it to read all but two of my textbooks. I can't see myself buying too many e-books, not yet anyway. I don't really buy books except for reference books (that includes cookbooks.)

One night, when I couldn't sleep, I learned that I could download previews of books for free! So, for $0, I got the first 30 pages of Tina Fey's Bossypants. These previews are enough to keep me entertained until I can get a book from the library.

One book that I did purchase was my friend T. S. DeBrosse's Jeremy Chikalto and the Hazy Souls. T. S. DeBrosse was one of my college roommates. We lived in an apartment with two other girls for two years. A year ago, I drove from Portland to San Francisco to visit the same T. S. DeBrosse and her husband and new baby. So, she is a good friend of mine. Maybe I am biased, but I think she is also a talented writer.

Since I've started reading her book, I've been meaning to post a quick little note telling my readers about it. The Smashwords site for her book is here. Look, it's only 99 cents for an e-book! You can read it on a computer, too, not just an e-reader! It is really interesting and creative. I read it before bed when I need a break from all this administrative theory and nonprofit management and ethics reading.

Back to the Nook. It's also an MP3 player and can be used to play music as well as audiobooks. I've been bringing my audiobooks to work to listen to while I do tedious coding tasks, things that don't require thinking in words. When words are involved, I switch to music (or I switch off the Nook.)

It's actually kind of annoying to try to put a playlist on the Nook. My books sometimes end up on there TOTALLY OUT OF ORDER. But I don't find it that aggravating. I appreciate that I have a little thing I can carry with me that has books on it that someone reads to me while I do other tasks. I mean, I appreciate the positive aspects of it. It doesn't completely replace something like an iPod, but it's enough for me, enough that I don't think I'll be replacing my stolen iPod anytime soon.

In other Nook news, today I checked out my first ever EPUB library book and loaded it onto my Nook!

So, all in all, my life has seen a resurgence of reading for fun and this is partially due to audiobooks and partially because of the Nook.

3 comments:

Ellen said...

I'm not sure if I'll use my kindle much in the States, but for me, now - it saves my life. It's nice to be able to keep up, a little, with new books and magazines. I think I'm going to be a little overwhelmed and confused when I get home and see all the e-readers. I've heard that they sell them in bookstores now and I can't imagine walking into a Borders or Barnes & Noble (which one does the Nook?) and seeing a display of Nooks. E-readers were starting to get big before I left for Peace Corps, but I think the Kindle was still the only reader people were using.

Sarah said...

Barnes and Noble does the Nook. And did you know that one of the selling points of the Nook is that you can use it to "browse" - any time you bring it into a Barnes and Noble store, you can read any book that's in the Nook store on your device. There are limits...but I think it's time limits, not page limits. I haven't tested this, but I wonder if you might be able to, if you were to visit a B and N frequently, read a book without buying it. If you were near, say, the North Brunswick B and N which I recall had a nice cafe, this wouldn't be so impractical. Hmm, I should consider this for my very expensive textbooks...

Sarah said...

As a side note, I just realized that the T. S. DeBrosse whose book I wrote about in this post, is the same friend through whom you and I met!!!!