Sunday, May 29, 2011

Endless Winter

This weekend, as I re-unpacked my down comforter to put it back on my bed, I realized that I had been taking for granted as normal that it is almost June and the heat is still on in my apartment. I have had to keep my heating vents closed to keep out unwanted air from another apartment (a topic I'll elaborate on only at a later date), and I have spent much of the weekend freezing.

We've had some relief this spring, a few days in the 60's and 70's with sun. But for the most part, I've come to expect temperatures in the 50's and if not rain, at least clouds.

This isn't very different from a Portland winter, and I can at least be thankful that normal winter temperatures here are 40's and 50's and even sometimes 60's, instead of 20's and lower. The effect this has on me, a person who is currently wearing the same long-sleeved shirt and jeans I would have worn in February, is to make the whole year blend together as one long season until that shorter second one when the sun is out every day, the air is drier than anything I ever experienced in New Jersey, and sometimes it even gets up to 100 degrees.

It was sunny most of yesterday, and it may even be sunny tomorrow. I'd also like to point out that this spring and last spring are not typical; everyone is saying that we're in an especially cold and wet cycle. My first summer here was brilliant. I got plenty of sun yesterday; now I am just feeling a little stir crazy.

I thought about changing my masthead, which is currently a picture of a Montana snowscape taken from the Empire Builder last January (having nothing to do with big hair, Jersey, girls, or Oregon), but since today feels like winter, that masthead fits my mood.

No comments: