Tuesday, March 01, 2011

Cast Irony

Hahaha, I crack myself up.

It occurred to me this morning that I have never properly seasoned the cast iron skillet I've been using for two years. I don't know what I was doing before, but last night I let the thing sit in a hot oven with a vegetable oil coating. Then I wanted to go to sleep so I turned the oven off before the hour was up. This morning I tried again, and I thought I was supposed to wipe off the excess oil so now there are dust-like pieces of paper towel stuck to the pan. They have become incorporated into the glossy, non-stick finish that the pan never had before, because I never really seasoned it. It's amazing to me how well that pan worked at being "non-stick" before.

Mostly I write this to get some feedback from my readers; I'm still a little mystified by this. The finish is also kind of sticky. Is that normal? From the Internet I learned that this sometimes happens depending on what kind of oil you use. I also learned that I should stop putting acidic things, like lemon juice and wine, in the skillet. Whoops!

2 comments:

Deb said...

Email my father. He's got it covered.

LS said...

Or e-mail my husband. He is also an expert :)