Tuesday, March 01, 2011

Branches to break up the "hate"

I'm experimenting with forcing branches from my yard and a friend's yard on my kitchen windowsill. The crabapple bud burst right away into rings of delicate little leaves. They're not flowers, but they are still a little bit of spring in my kitchen. A preview of what's coming. I also have camellia, rhododendron, and a cherry branch, which is showing some activity, like the leaf buds are going to burst. Meanwhile, the camellias outside are flowering even though my branches are just buds. Maybe I'll be lucky and get late camellias, like an extension of the season.

For those of you who are like, "What is 'forcing branches'?", here is article and how-to.

Also, the poinsettia came from Trader Joe's in December and it's still thriving. Maybe it will be around next Christmas! The red mug is rectangular and was purchased in Vancouver at the UBC Botanical Garden's gift shop. I like using everyday things that remind me of happy traveling.

No comments: