Sunday, February 13, 2011

Goodbye White Stripes

From BUST and NPR, a discussion. I have said some of the same negative things about The White Stripes, but I really don't think they deserve so much criticism. I used to complain that they were just mimicking older music and not doing anything new, but I was missing the point. The first thing Emily says is almost all that needs to be said; The White Stripes brought rock and roll back to rock music at a time when it was something else, something I wasn't even paying attention to. At that time, I had completely opted out of popular music and just listened to obscure bands that Napster helped me discover and my dad's Jimi Hendrix records.

Also, I like their first two albums better than anything new, anything that was popular. De Stijl is still one of my favorite things to listen to, and "Suzy Lee" on their debut, self-titled album is a song I could listen to over and over again. "Fell in Love with a Girl" got me listening...but I kept listening to their less popular songs.

I can't accurately critique drumming; I know nothing about it. But it used to drive me bananas to hear people criticize Meg White so dismissively as they raised ever higher the pedestal on which they placed Jack White. One of the comments on that post sums it up pretty well - to say Meg White is a bad drummer is to say Bob Dylan is a bad singer. Whether or not it's true, that's not the point. Also, I felt that attributing all of the band's success to Jack White and criticizing Meg White probably had its roots in sexism.

That's all I'll say for now. What do you think of The White Stripes deserved or un-deserved reputation? Are you sad to see them go?

No comments: