Tuesday, December 28, 2010

From the Snowpocalypse Zone - Some Favorite Places

Snow has me in the area a bit longer than planned, but still not long enough to make this anything but a "short trip."

I've been meaning for awhile to post about some of my favorite local businesses in Sussex County, and now I have time.

I haven't been here in awhile, but The Tea Hive is one of my favorite places to get lunch. It's a good place to go to catch up with friends. The location is great - an old house in the middle of rolling rural land - and so is the food and tea.

First there was The Yarn Loft, then there was the Yarn Depot, and now there is Yarn Boutique by Sarah to provide Sussex County with yarn that A. C. Moore doesn't carry. The owner is very nice and helpful and she carries really interesting stuff. Including some local yarn dyed with plants, spun by a woman who donates the profits (of at least some yarn, I'm fuzzy on the details) to animal-related charities.

P B and J has been around since before I moved, but I didn't know about it until my first trip back to the area. To put it simply, it's a boutique with high quality clothing, classics and things that will make you stand out in a crowd. This is where I buy Sternlein tights, and they are the first tights I've found that don't fall down. (This is a PROBLEM for me.) I have them in wool and cotton, in solids and stripes, in black and brown and now, navy blue. I've also gotten beautiful scarves here and one jacket.

Charm does not have a website, but they have a lot of nice things. They are also on Spring Street in Newton. If I had an apartment in New Jersey, I would probably not be able to restrain myself from buying things here, but since I have to think about moving everything, I've held back. I love the decorations, the antiques, the gifts, even the gift tags! I got the Violet Teapot Of My Dreams here two winter ago.

Cheddar Alley started out as a cheese shop in an alley, but now it's a big store and cafe on Spring Street. This was my favorite place to each lunch when I was on jury duty; for some reason it was always a Lawyer Free Zone. They make pizzas (some are what I would call "savory tarts") and paninis and salads that are all good. The store part is like a cheese shop you'd see in France, plus all kinds of other interesting/gourmet stuff. Today I bought myself a jar of local maple syrup to savor all Oregon winter long while I lament the lack of sugar maples and adequate maple sugaring temperatures in the Willamette Valley.

Goodnight! Maybe some time I will write about my favorite places in Central NJ/the New Brunswick area.

No comments: