Friday, October 01, 2010

Reasons to be in a good mood

I got an unexpected headache that lasted all day, and so the grand plans I had for my day off dissolved into spending my day off in bed. On the bright side, the weather was bad anyway, I didn't have this bad headache while at work, and it gave me time, in between sleeping, to get through a significant chunk of a book I'm reading for a book club meeting that is only two days away.

Also, BUST magazine has just released their first ever science issue. Finally. FINALLY. A women's magazine with a science issue! I've wished, ever since I started regularly reading BUST and Bitch, that a women's magazine (one that's not devoted to making women feel bad about themselves so they buy more cosmetics/clothes/diet pills, bookended by articles on how to please men) would include some science. Like maybe a regular science column. A science issue is the next best thing.

I'm a little peeved that BUST comes out in newstands before it arrives at the door of subscribers like me. Where's your loyalty, BUST!? On the other hand, I'm a digital subscriber, too, and I just got an e-mail that the online edition is available. Hooray!

And my headache finally went away. Now that I can stand to look at a computer screen, I can read my online science-themed BUST.

3 comments:

Deb said...

Do you get headaches often? I used to get them all the time & Erin gets them...Especially when it rains. Just wondering if it's a family thing...

Sarah said...

Yeah, I do. I used to get migraines from birth control pills (at least that seems to be the logical connection) and I've always gotten sinus headaches. This one was I think caffeine withdrawal. Dad gets them too. For awhile he was stockpiling rooibos tea which seems to help.

Deb said...

I'll have to tell Erin about the rooibos. She'd do just about anything to get rid of them. We thought her headaches were related to b.c.--I still do. She is convinced they are not. Shaking my head & rolling my eyes.