Thursday, September 02, 2010

Screen Door for Dinner

Last night, MBF and I went to Screen Door for dinner. Screen Door is the same Southern restaurant about which I wrote in this goofy post about public restrooms, and claimed I would write about again with something more fitting of that lovely restaurant than a post that included pictures of toilets.

Screen Door is probably one of my favorite places to eat in Portland, along with Broder and Whiskey Soda Lounge (which is really more of a place to drink.) Until last night, I'd only had their brunch and never their dinner. Their praline bacon, their chicken and waffles, their Bloody Mary with pickled okra in the garnish, their Gin Fizz which I think I liked better, and the bottomless cup of Stumptown coffee....Can you tell I haven't had breakfast yet?

Anyway, we went because I didn't feel like attempting to cook with the odd assortment of ingredients at my disposal, and when I suggested it to MBF, he thought it was a good idea.

Well, he did at first, but don't think we got out the door without some waffling. (Mm...chicken and waffles.) "Do you think it will be crowded?" "I don't know." "I hope it's not crowded." "Me too." "Maybe we should go somewhere else in case it's crowded." "Where should we go?" "Where do you want to go?" "I don't know, where do you want to go?"

I include a transcript of the waffling, because this is probably what has kept many people from going to Screen Door for dinner. See, Screen Door only serves brunch on Saturday and Sunday, so unless you get there right when they open, you are likely to face a crowd of a magnitude you have never imagined assembling just for brunch.

Unless you live in Portland, where there are actually quite a few places that attract concert-audience-sized crowds for lunch.

Anyway, at the end of a workday, just the thought of a crowd like that makes one want to put on sweatpants, put a movie on a laptop, and go to bed before the twilight has completely faded.

Well, I am here to tell you that Screen Door is not that crowded for dinner. At least not on a Wednesday night a little after seven.

When we arrived, we were told that the wait would be "not more than thirty-five minutes." It was maybe fifteen minutes, probably even less.

While we waited for our entrees, I mentioned this to MBF. We thought we were going to have to wait so long to sit, get served, and eat, and though we were in a very crowded dining room, we hardly had to wait for anything! I was incredulously pleased.

MBF agreed. "Not like that diner place," he said. I realized he was referring to the restaurant with the L-shaped room that I wrote about earlier this week. The place where there were hardly any patrons and we had to wait, and wait, and wait, and never even got utensils.

The point of this post? Go to Screen Door for dinner! I want to go back sometime when I don't have a migraine.

1 comment:

ellen said...

even though i'm a vegetarian the thought of praline bacon and chicken with waffles makes me drool a little bit. maybe it's time for dinner.