Monday, July 26, 2010

Why Facebook should have an "acquaintances" category

An explanation of the title of the last post I wrote, with identifying details changed or omitted.

from       Me
sender-time       Sent at 5:41 AM (GMT-04:00)
to       The Friend Written to in the Last Post
date       Easter Sunday at 5:41 AM*

subject       Facebook should have an "acquaintances" category

....and not lump everyone together as Friends. Here's the status update from one of my Facebook acquaintances (someone about whom I had to think, "How do I know him and where did we meet? Ohhh...he was in [a student organization] and he hung out with [my group of friends] once...in 2004.)

NAME CENSORED 's going to [a place] with the acidic Jews!

OK, the part that made me feel I had to share it with someone was...ACIDIC? Acidic Jews!? WHAT!? Does he REALLY think that's what they're called!?


from       The Friend Written to in the Last Post
sender-time       Sent at 6:11 AM
to       Me
date       Easter Sunday at 6:11 AM*

subject       Re: Facebook should have an "acquaintances" category

hahahhaha i was totally hoping he was kidding. but I will be calling them acidic jews from this point forward.

and yeah, acquaintances would be great, like they could see your profile but not photos and updates and when you write something on someone's wall...

i'm still laughing about acidic jews.


from       Me
sender-time       Sent at 6:27 AM
to       The Friend Written to in the Last Post
date       Easter Sunday at 6:27 AM*

subject       Re: Facebook should have an "acquaintances" category

That's the thing, I thought maybe he was kidding but could think of no actual joke!

That would be great--I like being able to see my acquaintances' travel photos or wedding photos but you could have the option, when posting the album, "Make visible to Friends and Acquaintances Only" or "Make visible to Friends Only."


from       The Friend Written to in the Last Post
sender-time       Sent at 7:01 AM
to       Me
date       Easter Sunday at 7:01 AM*

subject       Re: Facebook should have an "acquaintances" category

the only thing i could think of was that it was just because hasidic sounds like acidic?


from       Me
sender-time       Sent at 7:25 AM
to       Me
date       Easter Sunday at 7:25 AM*

subject       Re: Facebook should have an "acquaintances" category

Possible. I think the Acquaintances category is really a good idea, except that it might breed conflict. Not like Facebook is a conflict-free zone! Imagine the Passive Agressive Notes screenshots of status updates and wall wars and "Sarah and Person-Who-Threw-A-Frying-Pan-At-Her-Once-in-the-mid-2000's are no longer Friends. :-( Sarah and Sarah and Person-Who-Threw-A-Frying-Pan-At-Her-Once-in-the-mid-2000's are now Acquaintances. :-/ "


The next e-mail in that chain was the unrelated story that appeared in my last blog post.


*I am wondering if, since my e-mail is now on Pacific time, this was actually 8:41 AM.

1 comment:

ellen said...

I now have so many friends - students, random people I met around my town who are a lot more likely to recognize my name on facebook than i am theirs - that every time i log in i cut about five people out of my feed updates. And even though I have a variety of categories for them, so say not everyone can see when i update my blog, it would be nice to have an easier way of doing this.

the one advantage of being friends with so many people i don't know is that my desire to log in to facebook goes down each time i make a new acquaintance whose updates i'll have to work so hard to ignore.