Sunday, May 23, 2010

Gone Coastal, Part Two and a Half - The Coast

This post is going to be mostly pictures.

First stop, Cannon Beach itself. Its notable landmark is Haystack Rock.

This type of geologic formation can, apparently, be called a sea stack. I don't know why, but I find this name funny. Maybe it's because it's late at night. I'm not sure, but I feel like "sea stack" could be a goofy, innocuous insult. Such as, "Your face is a sea stack!"

Note the shiny white streaks in the foreground of the above photo. What appears to be rain-streaked sand is actually a miniature creek that appeared across the beach. To approach Haystack Rock and take photos, we had no choice but to cross this treacherous body of water, soaking our shoes and even our jeans, halfway up to the knee.

Despite soaked jeans, Julianna looked classy taking photos of the sea...

Whereas I mostly looked like this.

Words cannot thoroughly describe how damp and cold we were. Rain fell from the sky. High winds blew this rain and a good portion of the Pacific Ocean back into our faces. The tide chased our feet as they sank into sandy puddles. After some time of this, it ceased to be as uncomfortable as it sounds; it was as though being damp was our normal state and we had known nothing else in life. Thus, when we left the beach, we went not to a dry cafe for lunch, but to Ecola State Park.

FH010018.jpg

The trail eventually took us along a cliff. The path was narrow, with a wall of rocks and grass on one side and a drop into the ocean on the other side.

The path widened and took us deep into a dark forest.
We could see the ocean through the trees.

I made a friend in the forest! But then...

"AAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!" I yelled above the sucking sound of mud swallowing my jeans. Within minutes, I was knee deep in mud.

"ARTAX!!!!!" Julianna called out mournfully as I struggled to escape the mud's malevolent grasp.

"What?" I asked.

We soon established that she had, and I had never, seen The Neverending Story.

In the above photo, note the yellow skunk cabbage, or Swamp Lantern, surrounding the mud consuming my legs.

Finally, after the above-mentioned trials and tribulations, we made it to the beach. A piece of driftwood took this picture of us.

The End.


The Whole Story
Part One - The Road
Part Two - The Elderberry Inn
Part Two and a Half - The Coast
Part Three - I Paid Seventy-Five Cents for This Story

1 comment:

LS said...

OK, I am very very proud of you. Getting wet, muddy, being happy, living life, you know all of that! A little like a mom, but I am not your mom... :)

Gorgeous photos, and I want to go to this place sometime too.