Saturday, April 03, 2010

Almost twenty-six

In less than a week, I will be twenty-six. I will be leaving my mid-twenties for my mid-to-late twenties. And then in a year, I'll be in my late twenties.

What's wrong with me why am I not married yet after all I'm almost thirty!?

In all seriousness, I usually don't get upset about aging. I don't think that younger is better, that older is uglier, or even more tired and less interesting.

However, this year, 25, has been the best of my life. A year ago, I was crying on a couch e-mailing an ex boyfriend that I was sure I'd wasted Year 24 of My Life. (Being 30, he promptly, although nicely, told me I was being ridiculous.) I even wrote an e-mail to this IIF.

A year later, things have completely turned around. I'm following through with decisions I made myself; I am happy. I know that birthdays and new years are arbitrary, human-made distinctions, but it truly was a year ago that my life started to turn around. It was two days before my birthday that I received and accepted the job offer that brought me to Oregon. That was just the beginning.

So I guess what I'm saying is, even though I know that 26 could be an even better year, I feel sentimental about 25. It's like a dear friend.

I promise that this sadness about my impending birthday is not related to the fact that I just purchased my first container of eye creme.

No comments: