Wednesday, February 03, 2010

Your Life Doesn't Suck and You Need to Get Over It

  That is a message to ME. On Monday, I planned to get a bunch of work done, but friends I hadn't seen in awhile wanted to go out to brunch. Brunch turned into coffee with more friends in another part of town, and that turned into happy hour at a dive bar playing Scrabble. My roommate and I got home at dinnertime.
  When I am being--let's be honest, an idiot--I worry that my life has been derailed from the track I wanted it to be on. I used to make fun of people like me. This is the life I used to ridicule. Well, maybe I was wrong.
  When your life involves going on dates, going out with friends, exploring a city, and 3PM $1 PBR and Scrabble, your life is awesome. I mean, my life. I don't have to be superwoman all the time. I can have fun. When I was working (and even in college) I was a great money-saver. I hoarded every paycheck for traveling or for "adventure." (This included moving.) I have to keep reminding myself, "This is what you saved your money for."
  The job search continues, too, at a pretty steady rate. I have had interviews and applied for jobs all over America. (I'm mostly applying for seasonal work outside of Portland, especially jobs with government housing available, since Portland seems like the place I want to settle in for my mid-to-late twenties.)
  As I was writing this, I got a phone call about a new opportunity--just volunteering, nothing paid, but it sounds like it will be a good networking opportunity!
  So, okay, I think we can all agree that I am not wasting my life. I am not a drain on society. It is time to get over my own belief that I am not contributing to society. I should be celebrating my life of freedom, comfort, small adventures, and healthy relationships--old and new; friendship, family, and otherwise. Other than a job, maybe I have everything that anyone could ever want.

No comments: