Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Gut

I say it all the time and have probably said it a million times on this blog alone, but people should always trust their gut instincts.

This is an ongoing process - learning to trust that gut. I think I'm now at the point where I listen to, or at least acknowledge that gut feeling, but I don't always follow its advice.

I had a conversation with a friend* yesterday about this. I came up with the reason that I have been ignoring my gut sometimes. "If I listened to my gut instinct all the time, I wouldn't be friends with anybody! My gut is mean!" It's true, my gut points me toward distrusting probably 75% of those with whom I come into contact. I don't mean dealbreaker distrust in all cases, but at the very least keep-at-a-distance distrust.

The conclusion of yesterday's conversation was that my mean gut is probably right.

I'm trying to paint this as a not necessarily pessimistic thing, but more of a positive thing like, "Your gut is right. Therefore, you are right. You can trust yourself and you can protect yourself from those who don't have your best interests in mind."

What do you all think of this? Do you find yourselves in similar situations?

* On an unrelated note, this friend came over to make dinner with me. But first we had wine and cake. I made an awesome cake this weekend and last night, we made awesome chili. I plan on writing one giant food/recipe post at some point this week, with my Crepes Suzette recipe as well as stuff about the cake and the chili. Who knew beets and chocolate belonged in good chili!?
I guess all that food stuff is related, since the title of this post is "Gut." A ha ha haha.

No comments: