Friday, February 19, 2010

Because I'm afraid to ask Facebook...

What does one wear on a job interview for a production position at a nursery?

I have been getting a variety of answers from "a suit" to "jeans." Even though in the end I will probably just do whatever I want, I still want to know what other people think. Since I don't own a suit, I am leaning toward two nice outfits - and I will have my work boots in my briefcase and sloppy clothes in my car. In case the interview includes wandering the facilities. They'll need to see that I know how to dress for horticultural work. (Any former co-workers of mine reading this blog are probably laughing, since it was not uncommon for me to go to the Community Garden or lead a tour wearing a skirt and heels.)

So far, I'm planning on wearing nice black pants, a solid-colored shirt, and a black blazer...if I find a nice blazer this weekend. Or I'm going to finish sewing some botanical print skirts and wear one of those with a solid-colored top, nice shoes, and tasteful jewelry.

Dressing for this type of interview is always difficult. One doesn't want to look like a slob, but I have had one interview experience where the fact that I was "overdressed" indicated to the interviewers that I was uncomfortable with dirt and bugs. Even though I was a botany major. (And now I have a botany degree with some coursework in entomology!)

No comments: