Tuesday, December 01, 2009

Veggie Tuesday

What a goofy title.

By the way, my NaBloPoMo lasts until December 8th, since I started on November 8th. This is a "post every day" kind of post. That was your warning.

I was like a housewife today. I did laundry, cooked, knitted, and watched The View and Oprah. Maybe I should erase that sentence.
Anyway, I made three things for dinner--beet soup with ginger, a fall potato-parsnip-carrot salad, and an acorn squash thing. The squash thing was bland. If I made it again I'd add garlic, caramelized onion, and maybe more spices. More corn and less egg/milk mixture. The recipe is here, and here is the potato salad. The salad was so good and so simple--a great way to use fall and winter vegetables. I think I am going to make throughout the cold months, trying different variations.
Tomorrow is going to be a similar day. I want to make Persimmon Soup for my grandmere and I to try when I visit her on Thursday. I have no idea if that will be good or disgusting.

More fun-filled Wednesday plans--call the unemployment office to ask what happened to my first three checks, sort through my stuff that's in storage (and maybe bring some of it to a thrift store to donate!), and start reading the Oregon Drivers Manual. How will I survive all that excitement!?

Here are some less boring vintage posts.
Not quite a year ago, but the only post from December 2008. (I was too busy being miserable to post much during my Morristown Life.) I remember where I was when I wrote this--in the Douglass Campus Center, waiting for some friends with whom I was going to eat lunch before going to the herbarium.
Three years ago. Every year, on December 1st, I think of this day and how weird that weather was.

2 comments:

the cat society said...

the flavor combination of beet and ginger is extraordinary but i've never experienced it in soup form

Sarah said...

It's very good, especially on a cold day.