Tuesday, December 08, 2009

Jersey Girl's Chili Verde Recipe - 2007 Version

This recipe is what prompted me to do a Google-powered search of my own blog for the word "gum." Remind me--soon--to write the post about gum. And explain what the hell that has to do with chili verde. In the meantime, here's the recipe pulled from an e-mail to a friend. I'll post my updated version (the battery acid version, apparently) at some point.

Chili Verde Recipe, As Promised
4/21/07
If I don't write it down this time, I will forget. So this is for me, too.

2 lbs of tomatillos (approx)
2 lbs ground pork
3-4 potatoes
2 cans black beans
1/2 lime
1-2 onions (white or yellow or some sweet kind. Red might be too strong, but I'm sure it would taste good), chopped coarsely *
1 jalapeno
1 poblano
1 or 2 green frying peppers (not hot)
can add more or less peppers,it's up to you
About 4 ? garlic cloves, chopped
spices: oregano, sumac powder (you can get this at Middle Eastern markets), chili powder, cumin
Cayenne pepper, harissa, or your fav hot sauce would also be good additions. I would have put in marjoram if I didn't leave it at home.
Optional: chopped scallions

Boil the tomatillos in a pot for about 15 minutes--until soft enough to mash. Cube the potatoes and throw the cubes in to boil, too, for about 5 minutes.
In a frying pan or something, brown the pork.** As it gives off liquid, cook the onions and garlic in the liquid. They don't need to be totally cooked; they'll cook with the chili later.
While all this is going on, dice the peppers.
When your solanaceous vegetables are cooked and soft, drain the water (it's ok to leave a little bit in the pot) and mash the tomatillos, or puree with food processor. Leave the potatoes in cubes. When the meat is browned, add meat, garlic,and onions to the pot of Solanaceae. ***
Add the peppers and black beans, with some of the liquid from the canned black beans.
Add the spices: lots of oregano, moderate amount of sumac, moderate amount of chili powder (or more, for heat), not too much cumin or your chili will have an overpowering, armpit-like aroma.
Squeeze the lime over the chili pot, getting out as much juice and pulp as possible.
Throw in the scallions.
Let your chili simmer until, at least, the pepper pieces are soft. Keep simmering to let the flavors blend as long as you want. These ingredients are totally flexible and I'm sure you can make this with only one pound of tomatillos and pork and it would be good, too.
I don't recommend adding cilantro. I added it to one bowl and it didn't improve the chili.

------------------------------

The response was as follows:

awesome! thanks. also don't think i missed the fact that you cooked the fruits/veggies according to family. I see what you did there. and i approve.

---------------------------

* - Red onions are in fact quite good in this chili.
** - "or something." Gee, thanks! That's great advice. Also, what on earth did I think the "or something" could be? Other than a pan, what else would you brown pork in?
*** - For non-botanists, the "solanaceous" vegetables are the tomatillos, potatoes, and peppers in this recipe.

1 comment:

Haddock said...

squeezing the lime does the trick I suppose