Monday, November 30, 2009

Migraines and Claritin-D

This is one of those times I'm blogging about something because I was trying to find it on Google. Like the time I blogged about my slow Linux laptop. This is a disclaimer to tell you that this may be a really boring post.
I didn't get much done today because I had a horrible headache, probably a migraine. I haven't had a migraine in three years!
To sum this up in three to five sentences, I took Claritin-D for what I believed to be a sinus/allergy-related headache. I take Claritin-D maybe five times a year, on the rare occasions that I have an allergy/sinus problem that's ruining my day. It usually works, but today, within an hour of taking the Claritin-D, I went from having a slight headache to having all of the symptoms of a migraine (except light sensitivity)--horrible pain in my head, nausea, etc. I just did some Internet research, which showed that while some people take Claritin-D to treat migraines, the "D" part, the pseudoephedrine, is a vasoconstrictor. Vasoconstriction causes migraines, so in summary, I think the Claritin-D made my not-sinus headache turn into a migraine, but since it helps me on the five days a year I have allergy symptoms, I'm still going to take it.
I just wish I hadn't taken a 24-hour dose! I hope the migraine stays away and that I have a more productive day tomorrow. It wasn't totally fruitless (and here, the post stays boring, just in a different way). I took my mom's car to the inspection station, got a lot of grocery shopping done, and made vegetable broth.

1 comment:

Neil Davis said...

Vasodilation is actually associated with increased migraine pain (headache pain in general). Vasoconstriction is actually beneficial to migraine pain. I bet your initial headache was a precursor to a full blown migraine that the dose of Claritin D you took just couldn't help with... it most certainly didn't make it worse but the migraine might have been even worse if you hadn't taken the allergy med.

Cheers!
Neil