Sunday, November 29, 2009

Eventual Favorites List

I should just post a Favorites List like Heidi Swanson. (Side note: When I was a little kid, I had several imaginary friends which were all based on cartoon characters. If I were to lose my mind as a twenty-something, my imaginary friends would probably include Heidi Swanson and Clotilde Dusoulier. They would be my Kitchen Friends. Then I would have some people from the first three seasons of Project Runway as my Sewing Friends.)
An item I plan to blog about is a place in Portland that's becoming one of my favorites. It is called Toast. Their website is here. I'm not sure why this of Portland's multitude of brunch places is becoming a favorite. (I also like Genie's and Screen Door.) I think it's the centerpieces. On each table rests a small glass vase or bottle holding a simple yet creative arrangement. On some tables, I've seen three sticks of dried teasel. On others, I've seen clematis, which is, at this time of year, vines of whispery, spidery fuzz. Not only are these centerpieces seasonal, I'm pretty sure they're collected near the restaurant--from what I've seen just walking to Toast.

No comments: