Saturday, August 08, 2009

The Portland Metro Area's Cheapest Thrift Store

At the last minute, I decided not to go to the Downtown Farmers Market today (all I need is tomatoes!) and drive to a nearby thrift store, which the Internet tells me is Portland's cheapest.
I feel like this part of Portland I live in has some hidden gems. Kind of like New Jersey. I live near the cheapest thrift store, and also the largest fabric store...in America. Not just Portland. America.
Anyway, there was a second stroke of luck--they're having a sale today. So, I just bought a desk and a bookshelf for $17. Delivery is $20. As I write this, I'm waiting for the delivery guy. I think this is a great deal, because a plastic furniture thing with three drawers in it is about $30 at Target. I feel like I'm finally finding the cheap stuff in Portland! (This is after paying the same amount for lining fabric, interfacing, and all the notions/thread/needles I need to make my dresses last night. I haven't even gotten a zipper foot yet for my machine. I'm tempted to sew the zipper in by hand.)

Finally, my room will look like a bedroom and not a room with a mattress on the floor and boxes and piles of stuff everywhere.

No comments: