Thursday, August 13, 2009

Linux computer slowing down

YES IT'S POSSIBLE.
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The slowing down is not severe enough to incite caps lock and rows of punctuation. What is irritating me is that there is virtually NO DOCUMENTATION ANYWHERE OF WHAT TO DO WHEN YOUR LINUX COMPUTER SLOWS DOWN.
How do I defragment my hard drive?
You don't! You don't need to! This isn't Windows! Linux NEVER fragments!
How do I clean up my system when it appears to be clogged with junk, excess files, and partially downloaded files?
You don't! Linux doesn't need RegistryCleaner or Disk Cleanup or any of that stuff because it never gets dirty!
It never gets viruses! It never freezes!* It does the dishes AND puts them away; it will go to Fred Meyer and buy your tampons; it leaves the seat down; and if you really want to figure that one out, it's great in bed!!!!!

Well, I am writing this in case there are other sad Googlers out there, like me, searching for "What do I do when my Linux computer slows down?"
I don't have an answer for you. Yet. When I do, I will post it! I promise. But if you are out there, like me, I want you to know you are not alone. You are not crazy. I am running Ubuntu 8.04 (I forgot which BIRD that is! Stupid Starling, or something like that.) I've had it for about seven months. I'm having issues with Firefox, and sometimes the computer takes five minutes to acknowledge that I clicked, "Shut Down." It now takes thirty seconds to boot up instead of ten or whatever. (Clearly, I'm not concerned about that one.) Sometimes programs take a long time to load. Especially the music players. Though it's possible I just had the sound off. When scrolling through large documents, the thing will stop, then start and scroll real fast past the point I want, and the screen will turn gray.

* So far true.

No comments: