Saturday, June 20, 2009

Old To Do Lists

Goals for January 2009 (and last days of Dec 2008)

[There's a scrawl that says "MMMitts 18 st K2 P1 rib." It took me a while to realize this was a knitting pattern.]

* Establish and plan and strategy for Ballast Plants. Continue good work of November and December.
* Buy a new camera cable by Jan 20th. Or SD card reader.
* Make progress on computer situation - Back up at least ONE computer and d/l Linux CD.
* Get price quotes from Best Buy [This was to have one of my computers repaired.]
* Get caught up on e-mail and stay that way. At least 1 lunch per week, answer e-mails.
* Get better at turning in important docs.
* Start scanning stuff -- even outside NJ. Not limited to universities or even conventionally smart choices. [Hmm...]
* Foreign language stuff [I have no idea what that means]
* Event planning - maybe take some marketing classes? Statistics, Language
* Make sure to get outside a lot.
* Continue to organize and get rid of things
* File important papers. But also try to go paperless. Could start by dividing attic into sections.
* Pick up embroidery again as it's a good gift skill.
* Look into MS program. Could move to Somerville.
* Eventually get caught up with medical appointments. [Oops.]
* Be in PhD program by age of 29. Must start by Fall 2013 (year of ______'s wedding.) [That was pure speculation...______ is not even engaged.]
* Set goals...if XYZ by 9/1/09, then I will leave by 9/1/2010. [Hmm, I wonder what that was supposed to mean? I mean, I know that Sarah of December 2008 meant, if certain things happen by 9/1/09, then it's a sign to leave (whether that meant "leave Morristown" or "leave the East Coast," I do not know) by 9/1/10. But what the heck constituted as a sign?]

It is interesting to look back at this--to see how much I did accomplish, and how much my goals might have changed so that I don't care what I didn't accomplish, and also to see how, although there was an undercurrent of "Am I doing the right thing with my life? Am I miserable?", I was planning to stick around for awhile. I was planning to start taking night classes, possibly enroll in a MS program at Rutgers (hence moving to Somerville--it's about halfway between Rutgers and my job in Morristown), and systematically go through all my belongings and get rid of a lot of crap I don't need or want. Here it is with more notes and revisions--6/20/09. (Incidentally, this is the anniversary of Mary's and my return from our big road trip.)

* Establish and plan and strategy for Ballast Plants. Continue good work of November and December. Yeah, I don't know what's going to happen with that.
* Buy a new camera cable by Jan 20th. Or SD card reader. Installing Ubuntu Linux on my computer magically made the SD card reader drive work. Huh.
* Make progress on computer situation - Back up at least ONE computer and d/l Linux CD. It's amazing how many goals were accomplished by installing Ubuntu on my computer.
* Get price quotes from Best Buy [This was to have one of my computers repaired.] That computer, which is a Windows machine, is still broken. The jack in the back to which the power cord goes is broken, so in order to use the computer, it has to run on a battery charged with an external charger.
* Get caught up on e-mail and stay that way. At least 1 lunch per week, answer e-mails. Siiiiigggghhhhh.
* Get better at turning in important docs. I am pretty sure that haven't been too many important documents to turn in since this was written. I'm getting better at things like this--paying bills on time and all that. I use Google Calendar and set reminders. I guess I'll try programming Thunderbird and whatever stuff Linux came with.
* Start scanning stuff -- even outside NJ. Not limited to universities or even conventionally smart choices. [Hmm...] Well! I REALLY did that one!
* Foreign language stuff [I have no idea what that means] ?????????????
* Event planning - maybe take some marketing classes? Statistics, Language Maybe I'll do this. I don't know.
* Make sure to get outside a lot.
* Continue to organize and get rid of things Not crossed out because this is ongoing. Though I did donate six grocery bags of clothing to charity and just gave two more bags away.
* File important papers. But also try to go paperless. Could start by dividing attic into sections. Well, I started this. I'm going to just file my old pay stubs and utilities bills and all that stuff I probably will never need, but might, and later--someday when I am back in NJ like at Christmastime perhaps--I will scan it all as PDFs and then get rid of all the papers in the fireplace.
* Pick up embroidery again as it's a good gift skill. Hey hey! I didn't realize, when I took advantage of Sublime Stitching's Recession Sale, that I was accomplishing something on my To Do List!
* Look into MS program. Could move to Somerville. Guess not.
* Eventually get caught up with medical appointments. [Oops.] I don't want to. I feel better now than I ever felt in the years when I regularly attended medical appointments. I got off all my prescription drugs (all two of them...) and just take Alleve and Claritin-D when I need it. I don't get migraines more than once a year, and I think they were exacerbated by one of the prescriptions I was on. I changed my diet a lot and that's probably why I feel better. So maybe it wouldn't hurt to go to the doctor and possibly feel even MORE better. It's not like the doctor can force me to take drugs or will tell me that my dietary decisions were wrong.
* Be in PhD program by age of 29. Must start by Fall 2013 (year of ______'s wedding.) [That was pure speculation...______ is not even engaged.] We'll see.
* Set goals...if XYZ by 9/1/09, then I will leave by 9/1/2010. [Hmm, I wonder what that was supposed to mean? I mean, I know that Sarah of December 2008 meant, if certain things happen by 9/1/09, then it's a sign to leave (whether that meant "leave Morristown" or "leave the East Coast," I do not know) by 9/1/10. But what the heck constituted as a sign?] Instead, XYZ happened by 1/9/09 and I decided to leave by 7/1/09.

1 comment:

LS said...

I have lots of to do lists around, and about half gets done on them eventually. What is interesting is that half of what I do never end up on any to do lists, so in the end I figure I do 100% of what I need to do. Lists change as your life path changes, so I wouldn't worry too much SK! I made swiss chard Tuscan torta today, that wasn't on any list, but it looks gorgeous!