Thursday, May 14, 2009

Some thoughts and a weak metaphor about the sun

Yesterday, around sunset, I was driving on Route 80 West--toward the sunset--and suddenly remembered where I was May 13, 2008. When I wrote the following, I was feeling so sad...sadder than I've felt at almost any other time that I can remember:
I have this stupid cold which had me wake up shortly before sunrise, so that I could hear the familiar early morning birds chirping and think about where I was a week ago....I tried to fall back asleep, read, go online and look up stuff for my trip, do anything BUT look at photos and my empty inbox and listen to songs with titles like "I Wish I Never Saw the Sunshine." But this is life...ultimately you end up doing those things.

That was May 13, 2008, a day I woke up at sunrise with a puffy face because I literally cried myself to sleep. I think that was the first time I had done that--before, I thought it was something trite that was only in stories. I really was listening to "I Wish I Never Saw the Sunshine," and boy, did I really believe it!

All I could think, as I was driving at sunset on May 13th a year later, was how happy I was now. So much happened in those twelve months, good and bad, and from feeling the lowest low, I've come back up and beyond where I ever was before. Happy, going where I want to in life.

No comments: