Monday, April 13, 2009

My garden

(First, I wrote about cleaning my kitchen. Then baking cake. Now my garden. What is the trend here?)

I'll have to write later with some pictures. I have a degree in botany and a job at a garden, but my secret is--I am a pretty bad gardener. My father once called me The Dr. Kevorkian of Plants. In my defense, I do well with some difficult plants even though some easy ones have well...not exactly thrived under my care. I have a lot of "rescues" (therefore it's not my fault if they die--I got them in bad shape!)

Anyway, I have to leave a in few minutes but I couldn't WAIT to write about my garden. I noticed yesterday that the sole hellebore I planted in the fall-a 'Blue Lady'- is flowering. I went down to take some photos of it a few minutes ago and saw that a my toad lily--about which I had some concerns--is alive and well. Among the dead-looking patch of off-white sticks, some variegated-stripey-leafed rosettes have appeared. I realized that the scattering of seedlings all over the hill might not be weeds but could actually be the native aster mix I planted in the fall. And finally--what I consider a triumph--my Chelone glabra is coming up! I bought this plant for $3 (or maybe $1.75!) at the end of the season from the local Agway. It was almost dead. I mean, really, the cashier did not hide the fact that she thought I was nuts for buying it. I insisted that I was a botanist (which is NOT a horticulturalist or necessarily a good gardener) and I KNOW WHAT I'M DOING.
Within a few weeks, the Chelone looked like a few pieces of bamboo fencing stuck in the ground. Probably dead. After reading an article about "cleaning up your garden for the fall," I realized the hollow stems could house overwintering pests and I scrambled outside to cut the stems. Just a few inches of dead-looking Chelone remained. But now! Several shoots have started to appear around the "sticks." It's not dead!

AND some violets are coming up too!

Also the Aquilegia 'Corbett.'

Well, with nothing but a small patch of deep shade, maybe I have created a woodland garden.

(This is an even better feeling than when I cooked my first meal with my OWN curry leaves. I think it's equivalent to when I realized the Lithops I bought for a display at work was flowering.)

No comments: