Sunday, January 04, 2009

Recipe file

That is a dumb title. Wow, I bet that really caught your attention!
Now that holiday madness is over, I can finally start cooking for myself. At most, for a few select (as in, as many people will fit in my tiny apartment) guests. A year ago, some friends and I had Wednesday Night Dinners, which I sometimes called Women in Science Dinners as all four of us happened to be lady scientists. For those dinners, since they happened with such frequency, we could just heat up some leftovers or try out a new, unusual yet unimpressive recipe (such as Egg Lemon soup or lentils with dried apricot). Things I'm not sure if I would make for a Grown Up Dinner Party. I mean, lentil and apricot soup is tasty, but maybe too weird for most guests and also, it's not exactly pretty. In fact, is lentil anything dinner party appropriate?
Anyway, I may as well use this as a space to file and comment on recipes I try. Assuming I don't have to go to Sussex County this week, I can pick up where I left off in late November with my weekly to do lists (Wednesday is sort-through-papers-day; Thursday is go-through-and-organize-closet-day) and recipes. I have ingredients sitting around, hopefully still good, for things I wanted to make in November. I have pomegranates, acorn squash, tons of potatoes, different types of nuts, and my usual stash of dried legumes.
The one thing I like about the seasonal food trend is that whereas I used to find eye-catching recipes and have to run out and buy a million things to try them, now it's like me and the bloggers are all in sync and what they are making includes things I happen to have. Or can easily pick up at the produce market on my way home.
Another 2009 resolution was to continue cooking with seasonal foods and eating healthy. As far as eating healthier/eco-friendlier, I'm going to try to be more aggressive with cutting non-free-range-organic-whatever meat and eggs out of my diet. And no unsustainable seafood!

If I have a normal schedule this week, here are the things I plan on trying:
Pasta with Acorn Squash, Pomegranate, and a million other things

Lentil Almond Stir Fry

I promise my next post will be more interesting!

No comments: