Monday, April 28, 2008

Rainy Day, Dream Away

It is rainy, dark, and cool today, and it is supposed to rain all week. Good weather for doing homework (I guess.) I suppose it's not the worst week to be stuck scrambling to finish up my last projects for school. It makes me a little sad, since my happiness tends to depend on getting ample sunshine (my temperament is photosynthetic, ha ha ha), but it also feels like getting some of winter back--that cozy feeling of being bundled inside, wearing lots of clothes, knitting, writing, reading, and baking. Ooh! If only I hadn't bought an overpriced loaf of organic spelt bread yesterday while impulse buying everything at Wegman's. I would bake bread tonight! Maybe I will anyway. Study breaks are always permitted, and plus, when the bread is rising, that's one hour where I HAVE to stay in the house and write instead of flitting around outside/making up b.s. errands to run.

Scanning my e-mail for something homework-related, I found an archived conversation about the French term of endearment "mon petit chou," which means my little cabbage. I was making fun of it, saying, "My little vegetable that smells like sulfur when cooking and makes people gassy." (I am such a romantic.) Then I was thinking about how when I go off the deep end, this will be combined with my romantic simile of which I posted yesterday morning--a botanical Latin term of endearment that makes no sense. "Mon petit Brassica." Or, I suppose I could go all out in Latin (note that my Latin is limited to what I've picked up from studying botany and from reading the program notes during Patrick's concerts): Brassica oleracea minima mea.

Help.



So now I'll plunge further into Botanical Madness and end this post. I finished a final project for one class last night; I have some tiny assignments for that class to finish later, a presentation for my entomology class to put together this week about which I'm not too worried as it's interesting and exciting, and then...the monster plant systematics project. I say "monster" because it's huge and complicated and represents a great deal of intellectual growth. Or something. These grey days are ideal for sitting in, reading J. E. Rodman's doctoral thesis, working in herbaria, and tooling around with Open Office fake Powerpoint.

Let the sun take a holiday...

No comments: