Thursday, June 21, 2007

Happy Summer!

This is a lame post just for the sake of posting on the first day of summer. I thought that maybe I should make the most of the longest day of the year and go outside a lot, but it rained on and off today. Still, I was able to go for a walk early in the morning, eat lunch outside, tool around in the garden AND go for another walk after work. I thought the rain could be a blessing in disguise, an excuse to stay inside and finally clean my room. That did not happen. However, it's one less day that I have to water the garden!
Anyway, I think I'm going to try this 101 things in 1001 days list thing. I do like lists. So, here is some lame copying and pasting:
The Mission:
Complete 101 preset tasks in a period of 1001 days.

The Criteria:
Tasks must be specific (ie. no ambiguity in the wording) with a result that is either measurable or clearly defined. Tasks must also be realistic and stretching (ie. represent some amount of work on my part).

Why 1001 Days?
Many people have created lists in the past - frequently simple goals such as new year’s resolutions. The key to beating procrastination is to set a deadline that is realistic. 1001 Days (about 2.75 years) is a better period of time than a year, because it allows you several seasons to complete the tasks, which is better for organising and timing some tasks such as overseas trips or outdoor activities.

Some common goal setting tips:
1. Be decisive. Know exactly what you want, why you want it, and how you plan to achieve it.

2. Stay Focussed. Any goal requires sustained focus from beginning to end. Constantly evaluate your progress.

3. Welcome Failure. Frequently, very little is learned from a venture that did not experience failure in some form. Failure presents the opportunity to learn and makes the success more worthy.

4. Write down your goals. It clarifies your thinking and reinforces your commitment.

5. Keep your goals in sight. Review them frequently, and ensure that they are always at the forefront of your thinking.

Create you own 1001 Day Project

(taken from Triplux)
(I took all that from a message board.)


It's going to take me weeks, I'm sure, just to make this list. The hard thing for me is that the things have to be tangible and measurable. Ugh. Here's my list so far...I'm just posting the intangible things and worrying LATER about figuring out how to measure them. For example, "Go back to playing piano regularly" is ambiguous. "Practice and learn how to play ## songs/The Moonlight Sonata" is not.

1. Finish plastic bag knit purse (halfway there!)
2. Revive this blog.
3. Visit a continent that is not North America or Europe.
4. Visit enough new states that I will have visited one state for every year of my life. I want to see all 50 states by the time I am 50, so I need to catch up!
5. Ribbon embroider thank you cards for family members in France.
6. Get better at canning (vague)
7. Learn to play guitar...a goal I've had since I was THIRTEEN OH MY GOD THAT IS TEN YEARS.
8. Get good at IDing things besides plants.
9. Successfully knit something that is not a scarf, poncho, purse, or other form of The Rectangle.
10. Get really good at speaking French. (vague)
11. Become conversationally proficient in another language, such as Spanish...aka learn more of the language than food words. (Currently I can read menus, decently at least, in several languages as long as it's in this alphabet. "Murgh" or some variation means chicken in Hindi, for example. Dal means lentils.
12. Insert culinary goal here.
13. Insert writing related goal here.

That's enough for now.

2 comments:

elena said...

when you visit "not north america or europe" take me with you! i have been wanting to explore S. America for so long.
how many states have you visited?
random: I had a dream i was knitting last night hahaha.
Why do you need to learn to ID anything besides plants? i mean, what else IS there?
~Elena

botanylicious said...

Me too, about South America. OK, let's go for winter or spring break. Where should we go? Brazil? Peru? Bolivia? Chile? Let's go where the gentians are!
I counted today; I think 15 states. You?
Clearly you need to become a knitter - HAHA.
What was I thinking? What else is there!?