Wednesday, June 28, 2006

We English majors have been misled!

I am so shocked! Someone at work just handed me a Chicago Manual of Style open to the following passage:

Ending a sentence with a preposition. The traditional caveat of yesteryear against ending sentences with prepositions is, for most writers, an unnecessary and pedantic restriction. As Winston Churchill famously said, 'That is the type of arrant pedantry up with which I shall not put.' A sentence that ends in a preposition may sound more natural than a sentence carefully constructed to avoid a final preposition. Compare 'Those are the guidelines an author shall adhere to' with 'Those are the guidelines to which an author should adhere.' The 'rule' prohibiting terminal prepositions was an ill-founded superstition.

As much as I dislike being wrong, I kind of like it better this way. Trying to reword sentences to avoid ending with a preposition gets to be pretty ridiculous.
If only someone would come out and say that "I was like, 'OMG'" is a correct, proper simile...

No comments: